Friday, February 1

Encouraging

In this job of parenting it often seems like nothing is sinking in. I often feel like I say the same things over and over and over only to have it go in one ear and out the other. But every once in a while the Lord is merciful to me and gives me a glimmer of hope that the things I'm trying to teach my children will eventually be manifest in their actions.


The last several months I've been trying to focus my kids' attention (and mine too!) on serving others and not just thinking of themselves. There are so many ways this can be lived out, but one way I have been trying to teach them is simply by serving their family, by doing helpful things, by making their family member's lives a little nicer or easier. I know kids have whims and phases, and this may just be one of those, but the last couple weeks Abby (and Ryan too) has shown much more interest and enthusiasm for helping me around the house.


Helping clean the bathroom a few days earlier.

Tonight after dinner she just pulled a chair over and began rinsing dishes and putting them in the dishwasher, then proceeded to wash the couple that don't go in the dishwasher...all without even being asked! She is often cheerful when asked to help with a chore, but it was a blessing to see her serving her Mommy by doing the dishes without being asked.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

That's so great. Seems like she's blossoming in a lot of areas!!