Wednesday, March 14

"Doing School"

Though at first I was pretty overwhelmed with everything I was going to have to do with Abigail on her new program, after breaking it down into smaller chunks, I felt much better. I made up index cards with about 15 minutes worth of activities on each one, and I have started working through them one card at a time throughout the day. Daddy is also helping with a card or two in the evenings. The last few days I have been telling her we're going to do school like Ryan, and she thinks that great! So while he is learning his math facts and/or writing, Abby is learning how to retrain her brain! This has been working great so far and since Ryan can do his math and writing without much assistance from me, this doesn't feel like I'm adding too much to our morning since I used to spend that time with Abby reading stories or something anyway.


Our cute little "bug!"

Some of the time doesn't involve direct one-on-one time with me, like wearing her pinhole glasses. She has to wear these for 15 minutes twice a day while watching DVD. Marilee said most kids will want to take them off, but Abby has been very good about leaving them on thankfully. These pinhole glasses are supposed to force her to use her central vision since you can't see out of them peripherally. Once she is using her central vision normally, she should stop doing some of the self-stimulating behaviors such as shaking things (anything and everything) beside her face, dangling strings, etc.


Listening to Mozart...which she LOVES!

I have been starting out slowly on the program and adding more each day. Tomorrow we should be almost up to full program with the exception of a few things I can't do until I get the supplies (such as the nutritional supplements). I'll also try to post some video of some of the fun things we are doing with Abby. I'm so grateful she likes just about everything we do!

No comments: