Tuesday, September 12

Still Monitoring

We have been monitoring Abby's blood sugar for a day now, and I called the Pediatric Endocrinologist this afternoon with the results (78, 177, 98, 166). He said that he has mixed feelings about her readings. While some are in the normal range, some are in the high range. He asked if we were comfortable with continuing to monitor her for another day or two while we wait out her virus or whatever is giving her the fever. I am fine with that (as long as I stay away from reading about Type I Diabetes on the internet!), and it is much better than hospitalizing her. So we are to stay in contact with him daily and monitor her glucose three to four times a day as well as to call him if she starts exhibiting ANY strange symptoms, especially vomiting.

The endocrinologist was very nice and open to questions, and he picked up my call on his priority line within about five minutes, which really impressed me. He informed me that diabetes is very serious, but he doesn't feel she's at any risk with her current readings so he doesn't want to hospitalize her and go through the whole workup only to find her readings go back to normal when her illness has run its course. I totally agree, especially since he's made himself so available to us and urged us to call if we have ANY questions or concerns about her at all.

Thanks so much for those of you who are praying. I have a lot of peace about this, though it has been a pretty stressful 24 hours. Also, we are waiting for her urine culture to see if she has a UTI, though the doctor didn't really expect her to. He thinks it's just a stubborn virus and it has to run it's course. If she still has a fever tomorrow, we will be taking her back to the doctor again for some blood tests to see if they can pinpoint the reason for the fever.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

{{Kim}}

There have been many times in the last couple of years that Hannah has spiked fevers for unknown reasons, so I take her in, thinking it's her ears, to have our Pediatrician tell me it's a fever virus and it needs to run its course (4-5days). I hope and pray it's just a fever virus for Abby.

However, my mom and I were talking today, when I told her about Abby, IF she is diagnosed with Diabetes, is it possible for it to be related to her FAS, seeing how alcohol has soooo much sugar???

Kim said...

We asked our ped about that too, and he said no. However, if she does indeed end up having diabetes, we will ask all those questions again of the endocrinologist. Our ped said there is no known cause for Type I Diabetes, but hereditary plays the biggest part. I went back into our adoption records to see if there was anything listed in her genetic history because I didn't remember it listed at all, and there wasn't anything. I don't have contact info for birthmom, but I may call Cody if she gets a diagnosis, just to see if there is any in his family. I suppose it doesn't matter, but sometimes it's just comforting to get medical history for our kids.

Thanks so much for your prayers!