Saturday, May 10

Knows Her Alphabet

About halfway through our Letter-of-the-Week study of the alphabet, Abby began to struggle a bit. I decided to buy the Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD because I had heard some good things about it. I didn't have very high expectations since my experience in the "educational" toy market has taught me that there is usually very little in the way of education and much more in the realm of entertainment.



However, I was pleasantly surprised! After watching it just a few times, I saw dramatic improvement in her ability to retain the names of the letters she had already "learned," and she quickly picked up several new ones we hadn't gone over yet. In addition, she was learning the sounds they make and retaining the information really well. Retention is difficult for Abby, indeed for most kids with FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder), so this was very encouraging for me.

She now knows her entire alphabet and is very proud. I purchased the Leap Frog - Talking Words Factory and told her she could watch it as soon as she learned all her letters, so she's excited that she can now watch this one as well!

1 comment:

Darcy said...

That's great!!! Way to go Abby!